Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Thrifting and Crafting

I started this blog with the intentions of discussing academic topics and things that interest me. But, I think I'm just a bit too burned out from the spring semester to really get into indepth discussions just yet. I have very little desire to think right now. Quite possibly, this is the result of a semester chock full of classes that 1) I had to work very hard in 2) I heartily disliked. So, I'm going to allow myself a short break. Hopefully my usual nerdy attitude will return soon. Until then, here's some fluff.

While at home, I decided to make another tie purse, as the original was falling apart. When making the first one, I hadn't really thought about the ties I used too carefully--some of the silk ones didn't fare too well. Aside from that, the purse has served me very well. I wanted to try and make a new purse out of something else, just to change things up. But, due to a current lack of good ideas, I decided to stick to something that works for the time being.

I went to various thirft stores around the area and collected interesting ties. Then, I set to work. This one turned out a bit more colorful than the original. At first I didn't like it as much, but it's growing on me.

The front (before the finishing touches, mind you):


and, the back:


It looks much better now that it's been lined and whatnot. And I will note that the camera flash distorts the colors a bit. I went for a more colorful lining, which I like quite a bit. The strap is a red polyester tie with white polka dots. All in all, I'd say it was a success.

Another success story! I found this shirt while searching for ties at the Morgantown "ReUze-it" (Yes, they actually spell it that way) store. I absolutely love how tacky and silly it is!

This may very well become my new favorite shirt.

Today, I decided to further avoid boredom by making a drawstring backpack. I had fabric left over from the lining of my purse, and thought the bag would be useful. The fabric for the lining wasn't quite thick enough to hold up on it's own. So, I bought some complimenting fabric and made the thing reversible. I don't have a picture of the finished bag (it really isn't that exciting...very simple), but here are the two fabrics I used:


It's a little bit scary how I turn into a Little Suzy Homemaker if left alone and bored in this place for too long.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy your thrifting ways!

5:35 AM, June 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home