Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Whoring Must Go On!

Over the years, I have built up a reputation of being, well, a bit of a whore. I am by no means sexually promiscuous; I prefer to slut it up musically. When I find good music, I let as many people know about it as possible, and give them access to it any way I can.

Now, I may be away from Case's delightful sharing network, and I may be restricted to government regulated computers on which I can't so much as change the screen saver settings; but I am determined, damnit! (Luckily, thanks to the wonders of the internet--especially mp3 blogs--this isn't too hard.)

Sufjan Stevens, a very talented indie folk-esque artist setting out to release an album about each of the 50 States, released his second state-devoted album Illinois this past Tuesday. (His first, Greetings from Michigan "The Great Lake State" was released in July of 2003, and is a great listen if you haven't already heard it.) So far, I've heard only good things about the newest album. The hipsters at Pitchfork gave it a 9.2 rating, placing it at the top of 2005's albums to date.

Being a poor college student, I have not purchased the album just yet. However, at this very moment, I am listening to it in its entirety thanks to WRUW's ever-handy web archiving. I was thrilled to find that Denise of the Make Please Me Radio Hour decided to play the entire album on her show this week. So, for those of you interested, Illinois is available for your listening pleasure here (click the 56k link for The Make Please Me Radio Hour to download an mp3 of this week's show). The archives are only held for one week, so get while the gettin's good.

So far, I like what I hear, though I'll need to give it my full attention before I give a definitive verdict. Having lived in Illinois for most my life, I'm excited to hear what he has to say about the state.

And in another whoring effort, I urge everyone to go listen to Rinôçérôse's single "Bitch". Immediately. The song can be streamed from their website (linked above), and a mp3 can be found for a limited time here (thanks to FluxBlog). It inspires booty shakin' to the extreme, and is playful, sexy, rhythmic, and just awesome.

Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

woo for bitch & illinois!!!!!

8:32 AM, July 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home