Sunday, July 24, 2005

The Z Makes It Awesome!

The somehow popular kids compilations of pop songs known as Kidz Bop completely baffles me. I don't understand the appeal of any manufactured compilation cds of this sort, really. (Now That's What I Call Crap, Volume 22!) But this phenomenon in particular has me especially curious.

These kid rockers (and you know they rock, because it's Kidz Bop) are obviously reasonably popular. They wouldn't have 8 editions of the stuff if it wasn't selling. But, why ? What is the appeal of kids shouting along to popular songs? And more importantly, why can't kids listen to the original versions of the songs? It's not like Kidz Bop changes the lyrics of the songs to make them more age-appropriate. They just add the overly excited yelling of children.

But, I suppose I shouldn't bother tryng to understand this bizare trend. I'd rather just laugh at it. Sound clips of the kid screaming can be found here . I'm particularly fond of their version of Amerie's "1 Thing." Kid shouts have an odd effect on that incredibly catchy, sex-filled song. I'm also curious about the ending of U2's "Vertigo". That's got to be chock full of ridiculous cheering and mayhem. The full Franz Ferdinand rendition can be found here, thanks to Stereogum. I don't think Gang of Four inspired post/dance-punk and a choir of children mix too well.

When it comes to laughing at Kidz Bop, nothing beats the video for their version of Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" (the link is on the right-hand side of the page). Kids rocking out to bad music played by furry-esque animal musicians. Honestly, does anything more need to be said?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

furries...please....you know my opinions on the subject. clearly any group, musical or otherwise which would use furries as a marketing ploy is a vehicle of satan...

6:37 AM, July 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home