Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Soundtrack Police

This evening, I watched Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason with my parents. I can't say I was overwhelmed with the film. As with the majority of sequels, disappointing compared to the first. Too bad.

Amusingly (and not too surprisingly), the only definitive criticism of the film I can come up with is their music selection choices. The music wasn't especially bad, but it just didn't seem to fit that well. It was pretty obvious that they selected songs based on their popularity, rather than their melding with the storyline and scenes.

The scene that brought this to my attention:
While Colin Firth fights with Hugh Grant over the latter's possible relations with Bridget, The Darkness' popular hit "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" plays in the background.

Ok, I suppose 80s-esque rock is fitting for a brawl. But if any song by The Darkness is to acompany a lovers' quarrel, the only possible choice is "Get Your Hands Off of My Woman, Mother Fucker." I mean, come on!

Now that I think about it, I'm amazed that I haven't seen "Get Your Hands Off of My Woman, Mother Fucker" used for a fight scene yet. I have a feeling it'd be delightful. I suppose it's their loss. They decided to sacrifice possible screen gold for popularity. What a shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home