Saturday, August 27, 2005

Homeless Neurotic

After a summer of shuffling from one place to another and moving myself into my dorm room, I have reached a conclusion: I hate moving.

It's not that I don't enjoy going to new places. I love traveling, and have been known to get bored if I stay in one place too long. But there is a huge difference between moving and traveling. When you travel, you still have a place you can call home awaiting your return. When you're constantly moving, however, you really don't have a definite "home".

Being a college student, I suppose my parents' house would be my "home." But ever since they moved 14 hours away from where I grew up, the folks' place really doesn't feel too homey. More than anything else, it is where all of my stuff lives. And since the life of a student is filled with moves from dorm to dorm, and from school to random summer location, etc. I don't have any other place to claim for myself. I'm not especially bothered by this. I've gotten sort of used to the whole college student life, considering I've lived in dorms for 5 full years now. Such a wandering nomad. ha

But each move reminds me of a personal trait I often forget about. I am incredibly anal when it comes to my living space. But I never realize it until I'm forced to up-and-move to a new place. Once I've got things set up in a nice orderly fashion, I am happy. But until then, I plain hate it.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm looking forward to actually being able to settle down in a place for more than a year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home