Sunday, July 06, 2008

It's All Gonna Break

As I've mentioned, I recently found myself in need of a new iPod. I waited about a month, and though I did realize that life was indeed possible without a portable personal soundtrack, I also saw that my addiction to DJing my way through commutes and studying was going to die hard. Very hard.

So, I took a trip to the Apple store this weekend and treated myself to a sparkly new iPod classic. Apple is nearly synonymous with sleekness, stylishness, simplicity, and functionality. The stores are refreshingly bare-bones--clear glass everywhere, products clearly displayed on counters with any essential information about them nearby. Their packaging couldn't get much sleeker. (I actually asked the clerk if the necessary cords were included because the iPod box is so small, it didn't seem like everything could fit inside.) Their "Genius Bar" helpdesk is, in my experience, a well-oiled machine getting complaining and befuddled customers in and out quickly. Et cetera, et cetera.

It seemed to me that Apple really had everything figured out. At least when it comes to running a retail store.

But, as it turns out, they have a very amusing Achilles' heel: checks. Approaching the check-out counter, my sales person asked "Cash or card?". I hesitated for a moment, and questioningly replied "...check?". He seemed a bit surprised, but agreed. He then proceeded to 1) have to switch computers, 2) ask co-workers for help on how to process checks, which none of them seemed entirely sure about, 3) stay on the phone asking for approval for at least 10 minutes. All in all, my picking out the iPod and accessories took about half the time it did to buy them, and I'd caused a pretty sizable back up in the check-out line.

I didn't have anywhere to be, so I didn't care about the wait. I just giggled, realizing that I unknowingly managed to throw a wrench into the gears of The Great Jobs-mobile.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lis said...

dude... that reminds me of all those one touch credit card commercials... way to play with the system

3:58 PM, July 07, 2008  
Blogger Amy said...

Ha, yeah. Those commercials came to my mind while I was waiting in the line, too.

10:10 AM, July 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home