Monday, December 26, 2005

Fallingwater

Today, my family and I trekked out to the Pittsburgh area to visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. Not being a morning person, I wasn't very excited about the idea at first, as it required getting up at 6:30am. But, I must say that it was well worth it. The scenery was lovely, and the house is an amazing one-of-a-kind. I'm still floored by the fact that it was built in the 30's--Wright's designs and ideas seem very modern day, indeed.

Here are a few pictures of the house (outside only, sadly) and the surrounding woodlands. It snowed quite heavily the whole time we were there, which showed up in a few of the pictures. Adds that winter feel, I suppose.




The view as you walk to the house.


A side view of the cantilevers the house is based on. You can also see the stairs that go from the living room down to the stream. A very novel idea.


A far view highlighting how the house hangs over the waterfall.


A close up of the waterfall.


Some impressive icicles along the rocks between the main and guest houses.


Another front view. Posted by Picasa

Now if only I were incredibly rich, and Frank Lloyd Wright were still alive. . .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah I think it's pretty sweet when you're plsnning on having a lame day with the family and you end up being totally blown away by what youo go see. I felt that way when we went to Niagra falls last summer for like the 10,000th time. It was the first time I'd been since I was a kid however, and I think it was the first time I really appreciated it as more that just a wet excursion, and really saw the power of nature. It was pretty sweet.
Pri

6:55 AM, January 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home