Sunday, December 11, 2005

WRUW, How May I Help You?

I had a very odd call into the station during my radio show this morning. I'm a bit surprised I haven't had more, my show being from 6-8 am and all. Though I'm definitely glad this is the first I've had like this.

The call went a little something like this (paraphrased, of course):

[Four Tet "My Angel Rocks Back and Fourth" playing in the background]

Me: WRUW

Caller:
I, I, I hear a harp and that sounds really nice, but there's that shhhww shhhww going on too. You need to cut that out. It sounds like there are two songs playing.

Me:
[laughs, about to explain that the song has the rhythmic noise in one channel and the melody in another channel]

Caller
: YOU LAUGH, BUT I CAN EASILY CHANGE BACK TO 90.5. . . [continues on about the radio station and how he can stop listening]

Me:
[attempts to say that it's just one song and that there's nothing I can do to change it, and that I'm sorry he doesn't like it]

Caller:
[yells LOUDER over me not allowing me to say anything, threatening not to donate to telethon, and that if I keep playing music like that I will clearly not get any money donated to my show]

By now, enough time has passed that I have about a minute before I have to go on air and talk.

Caller: [still yelling loudly. He was "as serious as a heart attack and a stroke combined" when he was saying I needed to stop the music, and that I just laughed. Etc. etc.]

Me: [finally bursting in, continuing to talk even though he was yelling over me for most of it] I'm sorry you don't like the song, but it is one song and there is nothing I can do about it. I have to go because I have to talk on air.

Caller: [just keeps yelling]

Me: I HAVE TO GO NOW!

Caller: [continues to talk for a long time, finally wrapping up his threats]

Me: [by this time, extremely annoyed, having 10 seconds to rush to the microphone] BYE.

I never thought I'd get callers threatening to change the station, to not donate to telethon, and just generally yelling at me because of one song I played. He even commented that he liked the song before that one! But apparently, the Four Tet was just too much.

I don't know if I should find this funny or sad or scary. I'm not sure what sort of conditions a person who makes a call to a radio station like that must have been in. But I really question his mental state. I'm just glad he wasn't making personal threats to me.

Either way, I've had my dose of being yelled at today, that's for sure.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

man that caller really was that awesome wasn't he?

11:08 PM, December 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home