Sunday, September 11, 2005

No Really, Size Doesn't Matter. . .

As many of you probably know, Apple has come out with a new iPod--iPod nano. The name is indicative of the 'pod's very small size. Although, like many things nowadays that play off the hype around nanoscale science, it uses the term nano inaccurately. I'm pretty sure that the device's dimensions are nowhere near the 10^-9 magnitude.

But with trends going as they are, I wouldn't put it past Apple and other technology companies to try and make a handheld gadget that tiny, just because they could. For example, Motorolla has come out with a cell phone--the Moto Razar V3--that too is marketed for it's minisculeness. One of the commercials for the phone (no, not the one featuring ACDC's "Back in Black"), shows a girl squeezing herself into essentially skin tight pants, and then slipping the phone into her back pocket with ease. Thank goodness a company finally came out with a phone that facilitates tight-pants-wearing and phone-carrying at the same time. That was such a problem for me.

As that thick sarcasm indicates, I really don't understand the modern obsession with shrinking technology. My cell phone is enormous when compared to the newest ones on the market, and I sometimes think it's too small. Once in my purse or backpack, it's impossible to find. Especially if it's ringing. In fact, it is my second cell phone because I lost the first one--it slipped out of my purse without my noticing. Perhaps Motorolla is brilliant. People will buy more phones if they're constantly losing the tiny suckers. And, of course most importantly, will wear tight pants far more frequently.

In the case of iPod nano, things seem even sillier. That thing is begging to be broken or lost. I purchased a thick case for my 20 GB iPod partly to protect it, but mostly to make it bigger and easier to hold on to. I won't be surprised if I hear about someone dropping their new nano-pod, only to watch it smash to bits.

This ridiculousness best stop before we all look like Zoolander, talking on cell phones so small they can only be held with two fingers. Eventually, we will all need magnifying glasses to read the displays and finger adaptations to push the itsy-bitsy buttons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home